Shri Mata Lalita Tripurasundari
In the Sri Vidya tradition, the Divine Mother Energy is called many names – Lalitaamba, Maha Tripura Sunduri, Kameshwari and Shodashi. Essentially, they all point to the same energy – the Prabrahm – the Royal and most Auspicious Divine Energy from which the Universe is Created, Maintained and will eventually Dissolve. She is actually Beyond the Universe we can comprehend through our senses – we can only experience Her truly through spiritual disciplines and Love for Her.
She is majestically seated on a throne with Sadashiva being the seat and the four posts being held up by Brahma, Vishnu, Rudra and Ishwar. Adiguru Sankracharya in his great work called Soundarya Lahiri created 105 shoklas in the praise of Sri Maha Tripurasundari. The Brahmand Puran portrays her as being attended by Laskshmi and Saraswati on either side.
She is called Tripurasundari because:
- She rules the three Saktis – Iccha (Will), Gyan (Knowledge) and Kriya (Action)
- She is ruler of the three Worlds – Earth, Heaven and the Nether World
- She is of three Bodies – Sthula (Gross), Sukshaman (Subtle) and Karan (Causal)
- She exists in the three States – Jagrat (Waking), Swapna (Dream) and Sushupt (Deep Sleep).
- She is above the three Gunas – (Rajas, Tamas and Sattvika)
- She is a Presiding deity of Sri Vidya, pervading as Prabrahm.
The DHAYANSHLOKA for Shri Devi is:
‘Sinduraruna Vigraham Trinayanam Manikya Mauli Sphurat
Tara Nayaka Shekharam Smita Mukhim Apina Vakshoruham
Panibhyam Alipurna Ratna Chashhakam Raktotpalam Vibhratim
Saumyam Ratna Ghatastha Rakta Charanam Dhyayet. Paramambikam’
May we meditate on the Divine Mother, whose body has the red hue of Vermilion, who has Three Eyes, Who wears a beautiful Crown studded with Rubies, who is adorned with the Crescent Moon, Whose face supports beautiful a Smile indicating Compassion, who has a beautiful limbs, whose hands holds a Jewel studded Golden vessel filled with Nectar and in the other a Red Lotus.